Physiotherapy In Parkinson’s Disease
Parkinson’s disease (PD) was first recognized as a disease in the early 1800s by James Parkinson. It is a complex neuro degenerative disorder. It causes motor and non-motor impairments in cognitive processes including the regulation, planning and execution of behavior.
The prior features:
- Slow movement
- Rigidity, characterized by an increase in resistance;
- Tremors at rest
- Reduced arm swing
Causes and Treatments for Parkinson’s Disease
The symptoms of Parkinson’s arises due to some cell loss within the substantia nigra. Several causative monogenetic mutations are linked to the onset of Parkinson’s disease.There is no permanent cure for PD. Traditionally, drug treatments, surgery and other therapies are employed to relieve the symptoms of the disease.
Furthermore, Deep brain stimulation is also effective in relieving some of the symptoms experienced. However, for most individuals living with PD, we need additional treatment methods such as physiotherapy to aid mobility and boost independence. Because we target both motor and non-motor symptoms, we offer physiotherapy to those with Parkinson’s as part of a multidisciplinary treatment approach which aims to improve the quality of life of those living with the disease.
We achieve this by improving range of movement and physical capacity in daily activities through walking, as well as practice of manual activities such as grasping.
- Firstly, our main role as a physiotherapist and as part of the multidisciplinary team is to maximize the functional ability of the patient while minimizing secondary complications incurred through movement .
- Secondly, Physiotherapy as a treatment option for Parkinson’s focuses on transfers, posture and upper limb function, balance and physical capacity and activity.
- Moreover, we use cognitive movement cueing strategies, and exercises to maintain or increase the patient’s levels of independence.
- As physiotherapists we aim at promoting engagement in leisure programs that increase fitness and inclusion in activities within the community. As symptoms progresses, we teach our patients movement strategies to overcome difficulties in movement.
- We also develop strategies to compensate for loss of function.
- In addition, physiotherapy use different approaches which are beneficial in improving patient’s quality of life.
- Furthermore, it has been found that aerobic exercises are best suited for individuals suffering from PD. These exercises have been particularly found to be neuro protective in elderly affected with PD.
- Abover all, exercises improves cardiopulmonary functioning . It brings about improvement in posture and trunk movement.Physiotherapy plays a crucial role in the multidisciplinary treatment approach for Parkinson’s disease.
For treatment of Parkinson’s disease, Contact us @ Effective Physiotherapy Fitness Clinic, No 2D Close, Ajumgbobia Street, Opposite Conoil Filling Station, Kado Estate, Abuja . You can call 080 3436 5055.
You will like to hear out the testimonies of some of our clients. See our youtube channel here (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLq3wmHr4E7Qkuq7xNmB2E8IgdIQ-HIZdK).