TREATMENT FOR KNEE OSTEOARTHRITIS : Knee osteoarthritis (OA), also known as degenerative joint disease, is typically the result of wear and tear and progressive loss of articular cartilage. It is most common in elderly people and can be divided into two types, primary and secondary
Primary osteoarthritis – is articular degeneration without any apparent underlying cause.
Secondary osteoarthritis – is the consequence of either an abnormal concentration of force across the joint as with post-traumatic causes or abnormal articular cartilage, such as rheumatoid arthritis (RA).
- Primary knee OA is the result of articular cartilage degeneration without any known reason. This is typically thought of as degeneration due to age as well as wear and tear.
- Secondary knee OA is the result of articular cartilage degeneration due to a known reason.
- Causes of Secondary Knee OA:
- Joint hypermobility or instability
- Malpositioning of the joint e.g. valgus/varus posture
- Previous injury to the joint e.g. fracture along articular surface (tibial plateau fracture)
- Congenital defects
- Immobilisation and loss of mobility
- Family history
- Metabolic causes e.g. rickets
SYMPTOMS OF KNEE OSTEOARTHRITIS
- Knee pain that is gradual in onset and worsens with activity
- Crepitus or a cracking sound with joint movement
- Pain upon movement
- Stiffness, particularly early morning stiffness
- Loss of range of movement
- Pain after prolonged sitting or lying
- Pain on joint line palpation
- Joint enlargement.
TREATMENT OF OSTEOARTHRITIS
At Effective Physiotherapy & Fitness Clinic, our specialists employ different techniques restore clients to their previous level of a pain free knee or as close to it as possible.
- Manual therapy
Visit us at Effective Physiotherapy and Fitness Clinic at this address No 2 D Close, Ajumgobia Street, Kado Estate, Abuja or call +234 811 885 6060,