Treatment of Spondylolisthesis: Spondylolisthesis is a spinal disorder in which a bone(vertebrae) slips forward onto the bone below it causing mechanical or radicular symptoms or pain. It can be due to congenital, acquired, or idiopathic causes.
- Sports that put stress on the bones in the lower back, such as gymnastics and football.
- Genetics may also put some people at an increased risk.
- Advanced age.
- Short height.
- Higher BMI.
- Repetitive stress to the spinal bones.
- Decreased strength of the neural arch at a young age predisposes children and adolescents to a higher risk of fracture.
- Traumatic accidental injuries.
- Microtrauma in sports.
- Pathological causes – Neoplasm, connective tissue disease, etc.
Iatrogenic – After laminectomy
- Adolescents and children also have more elastic intervertebral disks which cause increased stress to be placed on the pars inter articularis.
SYMPTOMS OF SPONDYLOLISTHESIS
- Patients typically have low back pain.
- Pain in the legs, thighs and buttocks that worsens with standing or lowering the back.
- Pain may be exacerbated by direct palpation of the affected segment.
- Atrophy of the muscles, muscle weakness.
- Tense hamstrings, hamstrings spasms.
- Disturbances in coordination and balance, difficulty walking.
- Rarely loss of bowel or bladder control.
TREATMENT OF SPONDYLOLISTHESIS
- Core stability exercises, useful in reducing pain and disability in chronic low back pain in patient with spondylolisthesis.
- Stretching and strengthening exercises.
- Gait training.
- Balance training.
- Endurance training of muscles, effective for chronic low back pain.
- Isometric and isotonic exercises beneficial for strengthening of the main muscles of the trunk, which stabilize the spine.
- Cardiovascular exercise.
Try a session with our seasoned Physiotherapists today at Effective Physiotherapy & Fitness Clinic
Call +234 811 885 6060 || +234 909 860 4You can also visit us at No 2, Ajumgobia F.I.A Close, Kado Estate, Abuja.