What is Osteoarthritis? Osteoarthritis is very common and affects most of us as we get older.
Osteoarthritis is the “wear-and-tear arthritis” and “degenerative arthritis”.
What Happens in Osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis was once seen as a natural and inevitable consequence of aging, but we know that the real picture is rather more complex. Doctors now think that osteoarthritis may be a disorder affecting the cells responsible for making cartilage. The cartilage loses its slippery surface, cracks develop, and it becomes roughened.
Women who have a family history of the condition are likely to develop problems in the joints of their fingers and thumbs, and in their knees. In some people, joint problems are more widespread, with hands, feet, hip, knees, and shoulders. Sometimes, a single joint, such as the knee, can be the only one affected, especially if it has been previously injured.
Common symptoms in osteoarthritis
- The joint is painful after exercise and at the end of the day, but the pain gets better with rest.
- The joint is stiff first thing in the morning or after a daytime rest, but quickly loosen up with exercise.
- The joint creaks or grinds when you move it , this is what we call “crepitus.” Crepitus is often not painful and should not prevent you from using the joint.
- Tender lumps may appear on the small joints at the end of your fingers and the bases of your thumbs.
Treatment Of Osteoarthritis
This is one of the major challenge we solve at Efdfective Physiotherapy clinic. We recommends splints for affected joints from time-to-time to protect them and maintain their correct position, and will also advise on the right sort of exercise for you to perform at home.
The mainstays of treatment for osteoarthritis are:
- Reducing the strain on the affected joints and
- Painkillers when necessary
In Conclusion :
Osteoarthritis affects most of us as we get older. You will keep more active by avoiding straining the joints, exercising, keeping your weight down, and using painkillers when the need arises.
In Conclusion, a lot of help is available for people with Osteoarthritis, although their care often requires the participation of a number of medical specialists and other healthcare professionals.
Visit us at Effective Physiotherapy and Fitness Clinic at this address No 2 D Close, Ajumgobia Street, Kado Estate, Abuja or call +234 811 885 6060,