TREATMENT OF ANKLE SPRAIN Ankle sprain is a common musculoskeletal injury that involves the stretch or tear (partial or complete) of the ligaments of the ankle. They occur when the ankle moves outside of its normal range of motion which can be seen mostly in active and sports populations.
CAUSES OF ANKLE SPRAIN
- A fall that causes your ankle to twist.
- Landing awkwardly on your foot after jumping or pivoting.
- Walking or exercising on an uneven surface.
- Another person stepping or landing on your foot during a sports activity.
SYMPTOMS OF ANKLE SPRAIN
The signs and symptoms of ankle sprain vary widely depending on the type and severity of the injury and include:
- pain especially when putting weight on the affected foot
- tenderness upon palpation of the ankle joint
- bruising, edema and swelling
- limitation in range of motion and instability at the level of the joint
- complains of cold foot or paresthesia which could imply neurovascular compromise of peroneal nerve
- inversion injury or forceful eversion injury to the ankle
- previous history of ankle injuries or instability.
PHYSIOTHERAPY TREATMENT OF ANKLE SPRAIN
- PRICE (Protect, Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate)
- Weight Bearing
Early ‘protected weight-bearing up to 2 weeks for all grades of sprains assists with:
- Swelling reduction
- Restoration of the normal range of motion
- Return to normal activity
- Preventing mechanical instability long-term
- Manual Therapy
- Range of motion exercises
- Stretching exercises
- Strengthening exercises
- Balance training.
Here at Effective physiotherapy and fitness clinic our aim is to reduce the pain and swelling. Our Physiotherapists may use various techniques with gentle range of motion exercises. This will help reduce your pain and swelling, allowing you to walk as normally as possible.
Visit us at Effective Physiotherapy and Fitness Clinic at No 2 D Close, Ajumgobia Street, Kado Estate, Abuja or call +234 811 885 6060,