MOTOR NEURON DISORDER MANAGEMENT : This is the way of coping a with a group of diseases in which the motor neurons undergo degeneration and die. It goes under the umbrella of conditions termed neurodegenerative disorders. Motor neuron diseases cause the nerves in the spine and brain to lose function over time.
Risk Factors Motor Neuron Disorder
- This occurs in adults or children, depending on the type.
- More likely to affect men than women.
- Inherited forms of the condition may be present at birth Most likely to appear after the age of 40 years, usually between 55–75 years.
CAUSES OF MOTOR NEURON DISORDER
- Most cases of MND develop without an obvious cause.
- A combination of environmental, lifestyle and genetic factors.
- Due to a genetic mutation, or an error in the gene.
SYMPTOMS OF MOTOR NEURON DISORDER
- Stumbling due to weakness of the leg muscles
- Difficulty holding objects caused by weakness of the hand muscles
- Slurring of speech or swallowing difficulties due to weakness of the tongue and throat muscles
- Cramps and muscle twitching
As the disease progresses symptoms may include:
- Breathing difficulties from decreased lung capacity caused by muscle weakness
- Fatigue caused by muscle exhaustion, decreased lung capacity, metabolic changes, weight loss, and reduced food intake
- Insomnia caused by discomfort, pain from stiff joints and muscles, excessive saliva, dry mouth or breathing problems
- Mild changes in cognitive skills and processes and/or behavioral changes
Physical therapy rehabilitation may help to improve posture, prevent joint immobility, and slow muscle weakness and atrophy.
- Stretching and strengthening exercises may help reduce spasticity, increase range of motion, and keep circulation flowing.
- Applying heat may relieve muscle pain.
- Assistive devices such as supports or braces, orthotics, speech synthesizers, and wheelchairs may help some people retain independence.
- Non-invasive ventilation at night can prevent apnea in sleep, and some individuals may also require assisted ventilation due to muscle weakness in the neck, throat,
Visit us at Effective Physiotherapy and Fitness Clinic at this address No 2 D Close, Ajumgobia Street, Kado Estate, Abuja or call +234 811 885 6060,