Treatment of Body Stiffness: When you have general body stiffness, it really means it’s difficult for you to move any parts of your body especially in the joint areas as you would under normal circumstances. Because this experience can be followed with pains and swellings in those regions of the body (the hands, legs, neck etc) where movement becomes challenging therefore, the muscles in these areas also feel tight.
Sometimes, stiffness usually goes away on its own. You may find relief with regular exercise and stretching.
Symptoms of Body Stiffness
Seek immediate medical attention if you experience stiffness along with any of the following symptoms:
- Fever, especially with stiffness in the neck
- Extreme muscle weakness
- Redness, pain, and swelling in the area you’re experiencing muscle stiffness
- Muscle pain that began after taking a new medication
Causes Of Stiffness
Muscle stiffness typically occurs after exercise, hard physical work, or lifting weights. However, you may also feel stiffness after periods of inactivity, like when you get out of bed in the morning or get out of a chair after sitting for a long time.
Sprains and strains are the most common reasons for muscle stiffness.
Other common conditions that may cause stiffness include:
- injury from extreme heat or cold
- anesthesia or medication used for surgery
How To Prevent Stiffness
Consequently, to help prevent muscle stiffness, try the following:
- Practice good posture.
- Make sure your furniture at home and at work provide comfort and support.
- Take regular breaks. To reduce stiffness, get up, walk around, and stretch often to keep the joints and muscles loose. You may find it helpful to set an alarm or desktop notification as a reminder.
- Eat a healthy diet.
Treatment of Body stiffness
Treatment of this condition often depends on the cause.
For instance, you may be able to treat muscle stiffness at home with rest, massage, and application of heat or cold.
However, heat works better for tightness. Cold may work better for swelling and inflammation.
Moreover, Medications include anti-inflammatory drugs to lessen pain.
Above all, Physiotherapy is one of the best treatments for stiffness in any part of your body.
At Effective Physiotherapy and Fitness Clinic, several cases of this condition have been properly managed. You can visit us at the address below or call +234 811 885 6060 or +234 909 860 4470 to book an appointment if you or your loved ones have similar condition.