TREATMENT OF LOW BACK PAIN: Low back pain is a very common complaint among the middle aged and adult. It is a discomfort which usually occur at the lower down side of the back muscles. Moreover, it sometimes reflect down to the buttocks or the pelvis then down to the leg bones and muscles. Low back pain is usually categorized in 3 subtypes: acute, sub-acute and chronic low back pain. This subdivision is based on the duration of the back pain.
- Sub-acute low back pain between 6 and 12 weeks.
- Chronic low back pain for 12 weeks or more.
CAUSES OF LOW BACK PAIN
- Non-mechanical disease processes
- Heavy lifting
- Poor sitting posture
- Frequent bending forward
- Degenerative conditions
- Advice and early activity : importantly, there is significant evidence to prove that encouraging early movement in case of lower back pain is one of the most significant aspects of treatment in this condition.
- Mobilization or Manipulative physiotherapy – This aspect concentrates on promoting mobilization of the specific affected area. The approach of manipulative physiotherapy to target the specific point of pain for the purpose.
- Specific stabilization exercises : In this aspect of physiotherapy, ou aim is on improving the strength and stability of the muscles which are already weak as result of the lower back pain.
- General exercises and stretches : A series of proper exercises and stretches are usually in putb in plac in context of the patient’s individual condition and cause of the lower back pain.
- Ergonomic advice : Additionally, since work-related hazards account for more than 65% of lower back problems. Physiotherapists also concentrate on providing accurate ergonomic device, guiding the patient on using the appropriate infrastructure at work to avoid and cure lower back pain.
- Postural guidelines – Mostly, this aspect of physiotherapy focuses on guiding the patient about the correct postural habits and ways to maintain accurate posture to avoid lower back pain.
Visit us at Effective Physiotherapy and Fitness Clinic at this address No 2 D Close, Ajumgobia Street, Kado Estate, Abuja or call +234 811 885 6060,