WHAT IS GUILLIAN-BARRÉ SYNDROME (GBS): It is a diverse group of autoimmune damage to multiple nerve roots sufficient to produce neurologic symptoms and signs such as pain, weakness, and sensory loss. It is the most common cause of quickly progressive flaccid paralysis.
It is a condition in which the immune system attacks the nerves.
The condition may be triggered by an acute bacterial or viral infection
- Age (15-35) and (60-75)
- In men more likely than women
- Recent gastrointestinal or respiratory infection by viruses or bacteria
- Recent vaccination (especially influenza and meningococcal)
- Recent Surgery
- History of lymphoma, systemic lupus erythromatous or HIV and AIDS.
CAUSES OF GUILLIAN-BARRÉ SYNDROME
- Bacterial infection
- Viral infection
- Protozoan infection
- Blood transfusion
- Preceding heat stroke
- Preceding vaccination – swine flu
- Pain areas: in the muscles
- Muscular: muscle weakness, abnormality walking, problems with coordination, or weakness of the arms and legs
- Whole body: fatigue or high blood pressure
- Heart: abnormal heart rhythm or fast heart rate
- Speech: difficulty speaking or impaired voice
- Also common: difficulty swallowing, dysesthesia, facial weakness, foot drop, hyporeflexia, shortness of breath, or urinary retention.
PHYSIOTHERAPY TREATMENT OF GUILLIAN BARRE SYNDROME
- Respiratory Care
- Maintain Normal Range of Movement
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Electrical stimulation
- Strength and Endurance training
- Functional training
Physiotherapy is beneficial in the case of GUILLIAN-BARRÉ as it helps to slowly improve outcome measures and minimize the chance of fatigue and also regain strength and movement.
Visit us at Effective Physiotherapy and Fitness Clinic at No 2 D Close, Ajumgobia Street, Kado Estate, Abuja or call +234 811 885 6060,